Volunteer with JAUM
Learn about the rewards of being a JA volunteer.
Junior Achievement of the Upper Midwest’s success depends on the involvement of members of our community who want to help make a difference in the life of a child. We partner with thousands of volunteers each year to help students make the connection between what they are learning in school and what they will need to succeed in work and life.
Our opportunities are flexible and rewarding. We’ll provide you with all the training and materials you’ll need to be prepared. Your commitment could vary from a single school day to a weekly visit of one hour for five to eight weeks. We’ll work with you to find an opportunity that matches your interests and works with your busy schedule.
Read below about the many ways you can volunteer with JAUM, and check out the fulfilling and flexible volunteer opportunities available in your community:
WAYS TO VOLUNTEER
Classroom volunteers participate with Junior Achievement in schools throughout the Twin Cities and in our district areas. We’ll help you select a school and grade of your choice, and will ensure that you have the training and materials needed for leading a class. Classroom volunteers lead JA lessons in one of two ways:
- Weekly delivery – In this delivery method, your classroom visits are scheduled directly with your assigned teacher, allowing for flexibility with your busy schedule. Each lesson takes 30-45 minutes to teach; the number of lessons varies from 5-7, depending on grade level.
- JA in a Day – In this delivery method, all classroom lessons are taught back-to-back in a half day visit. Each lesson takes 30-45 minutes to teach; the number of lessons varies from 5-7, depending on grade level.
Benefits to the volunteer:
- “a fun way to give back to the community!”
- ”teaching for Junior Achievement has helped my self-esteem tremendously”
- “working with children is a rewarding change from working with adults all day long.”
- “I love helping students learn important life skills and knowledge while it’s fun for them!”
- “great way to give back to the younger population”
Benefits to company:
- Training and public speaking opportunities for employee/volunteer
- PR potential for wide-spread community involvement
- Increased employee morale through community service
- Pre-planned JA lessons make effective use of employee/volunteer’s time
Junior Achievement will partner a company with a school for one year. The company will “adopt” either the entire school or specific grade level and provide the volunteers for the classes that are offering Junior Achievement programs. Employees will have the option of selecting the grade they would like to teach and what month they would like to start. We will ensure that you have the training and materials needed for leading a class. Lesson plans are delivered once a week for 5-8 weeks (depending on grade level) and range from 30-45 minutes per lesson.
JA BizTown Volunteers
JA BizTown volunteers assist in one of the 14 businesses in our experiental, kid-sized city. During a five hour day, volunteers work with a small group of students in grades 5-8, assisting them with business decisions, personal accounting and time management in the operation of their individual businesses.
Job Shadow Volunteer
Through JA Job Shadow, middle and high school students have the opportunity to “shadow” business professionals from a wide variety of industries. Most job shadow events are half day opportunities. Job Shadow volunteers are typically paired with two students.
Still have questions or need more information? Call 651-255-0055 to learn more about the many rewarding volunteer opportunities with Junior Achievement.